This level is closest to the users and is concerned with the way in which the data is viewed by individual users. Most of the users are not concerned with all the information contained in the database. Instead they need only a part of the database relevant to them. The system provides many views for the same database.
- Highest level of abstraction of database.
- Allows to see only the data of interest to them.
- Users – Application programmers or end-users.
- Any no. of external views – external schema.
- It consists of the definition of logical records and relationships in the external view.
- It also contains the methods for deriving the objects such as entities, attributes and relationships in the external view from the Conceptual View.